Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski

I picked up this book because I'd forgotten to bring the one I was already reading onto a recent business trip. I subscribe to enough book review and book store emails to have noticed the title earlier in the summer. But with so many books reviewed each week - it's hard to decide which ones I'm going to have to read. In the bookstore, it stood out, and I remembered the reviews.

The story is set in northern Wisconsin - near Ashland (probably in Bayfield County). I have spent enough of my life up there to have an affinity for the beauty of the area. So, I was excited to see something set in a place that is familiar to me.

It's a story about a young boy who is mute. His family raises dogs who have been bred for their intelligence and a quality that remains nameless throughout the book. During the novel, he grow up and painfully learns that the world can be a tough place. The dogs seem to have a mythical ability to commune with people. The story itself is part myth, part fairytale, part mystery. Yet, it always remains completely believeable and grounded.

I loved the scenery of northern Wisconsin. There was a scene where he sat on the shore of a small lake on the evening of 4th of July. The pink, orange and purple colors of the sunset were reflected in the stillness of the lake. The echo of fireworks from across the lake were followed by the sounds of families and children enjoying the summer evening. It took me back to so many of my own summers and evenings.

I loved the relationship between Edgar and his dogs. I loved the mystery that kept you wondering what whould happen.

Recommendation: It is a great story, beautifully told.

No comments: